Saturday, 1 September 2012

Recipe 3: Spaghetti alla Carbonara

So, for starters, I did not come up with this recipe.  I did, however, make it for supper tonight, and it was amazing.

I got the recipe from Cook's Illustrated, October 2001 issue.  The recipe was written up in the magazine by Bridget Lancaster.  If you have access to the issue, look at it while you cook your recipe, because it gives you some helpful tips.

Anywho, on with the recipe.

You'll need:

1/4 of extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 of bacon (although I used chicken because I had some leftover from my previous recipes)
1/2 dry white wine
3 large eggs
3/4 cup finely grated parmesan
1/4 grated Pecorino Romano
3 small garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press, or minced to a paste
1 pound spaghetti (obviously)
Salt of pepper (optional, of course)

For starters, I mixed together the meat of choice, eggs, cheese, and garlic, which created a yellowish paste, shown below.


Then, I poured the oil into a skillet, and boiled up some water.



When the oil began to simmer, I poured in the chicken (or whatever meat you choose).  Once the water began to boil, I put the spaghetti into the pot, and let it boil (go with the instructions on the spaghetti package; according to the Cook's Illustrated taste test shows that Rozoni Spaghetti was the best brand to go with, although I didn't have access to the brand). Once the meat begins to golden, add in the wine, and continue cooking until it has burned off.

I then drained the pasta, and added it to the paste I made before.


Then, I added the meat, careful not to let too much oil drip in.


There you go!  Cook's Illustrated Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. I know, I went a bit more fancy with this recipe.  I hope you all enjoyed it, and be sure to check out the issue of Cook's Illustrated.

More recipes to come.


-Lhasa

No comments:

Post a Comment